Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Perfect Sunday Afternoon Snack

Happy Sunday! I hope y'all are enjoying your weekend. Mine has been chock FULL of fun stuff, but I gotta admit, it's completely done me in (lol) and I'm kinda looking forward to going back to my quieter weekday routine. :)

I spent yesterday morning at the local outdoor art festival - sooo much fun, but I started sniffling and sneezing after walking around under all the trees, and this morning I woke up at 4 AM with my allergies in absolute hyperdrive. :( I took half a dose of allergy meds and then went back to bed to try to sleep it off, but it didn't really help much.

Whenever my allergies are acting up, I crave carbs. I have no idea why, but I just happened to have this recipe pinned from my newest food blog find, Eat Live Run (go check it out - amazing!).  When I first read about an "olive oil cake" I was like... "Hmm?" But luckily I was curious instead of repulsed, and after reading the recipe I couldn't stop imagining it. The slight fruitiness of the olive oil lending richness to the delicate whiff of lemon, the slight crust giving way to the delicate cake inside... mmm. :)

So this afternoon I whipped out my blender and gave it a go.

First off: this recipe is so. easy. It's got eight ingredients, you can mix it up in ten minutes, and then all you have to do is watch it bake. It doesn't need icing. Couldn't be easier.

Here's the original recipe, and here's how I modified it to be more key-lime flavored:

1. Throw four eggs (I used eggs from my very own chickens! Sorry, just had to throw that in there :)) and 1 cup sugar in the mixer, and beat on high for five minutes.
2. While that's beating away,  whisk together 1 cup flower, 1/2 TSP baking powder, and 1/4 TSP salt in a bowl.
3. Mix 6 TBS lime juice and 1/2 cup extra virgin light olive oil (it's worth it to use the most expensive oil you have!) and give it a quick stir to incorporate.
4. Slowly stream oil/juice mixture into mixing bowl and fold in with a rubber spatula.
5. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture - make sure you get everything well incorporated (i.e. no dry lumps!).
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9" cake round, and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 (mine took barely 40 minutes).
7. Let it cool slightly, then turn out onto a plate and dust liberally with powdered sugar. :)

Done!

I took it with me to drama rehearsal and it seemed to go over well. I can tell this is gonna become one of my favorite go-to recipes: it doesn't require milk (which I rarely have on hand) or fancy ingredients, and it's so simple. Love.

Have a great Sunday (and a great week!).

No comments: